After doing rod bearing replacements on countless S54, S65, and S85 equipped BMW M-Cars we at Parts Score have put together a comprehensive package containing every single part involved in replacing the factory S65 V8 M3 BMW rod bearings with aftermarket bearings from VAC produced by Clevite, kits are also available for S85 V10 M5/M6 Motors and S54 E46 M3 Motors . Rod bearing failures have been a constant problem with the high revving naturally aspirated motors and we have seen catastrophic failures with as low as 60,000 miles, this can be exacerbated by not letting the motor warm up properly or by track oriented driving with sustained periods of high temperature. Superchargers can also shorten the lifespan of OEM bearings.
Early replacement of the rod bearings is critical and will save the entire engine from needing to be replaced. We recommend rod bearing replacement at no later than 80,000 miles. OEM rod bearings from pre-2011 models contain copper and lead. For these early cars an oil analysis can be completed and if elevated levels of these metals are found then the rod bearings should be replaced immediately. For post-2011 models there is no simple way to tell if the bearings are failing and we recommend preventative replacement on every car no later than 80,000 miles.
There are many options on the market for rod bearings however we at Parts Score recommend bearings from VAC produced by Clevite; the world leader in high performance racing bearings. Clevite bearings are used in series such as NASCAR and Top Fuel Drag Cars. The bearings are stronger and last considerably longer than the OEM rod bearings and feature a friction resistant coating that resists thermal metal breakdown.
Our complete kit that includes every single part needed for a rod bearing replacement. In addition to the required components for the rod bearing installation our kit also includes some additional maintenance items such as motor mounts and transmission mounts. The subframe for the M3 must be removed to replace the rod bearings and while the sub-frame is out it is a good idea to replace these mounts. In addition the power steering lines need to be disconnected to access the rod bearings, we have included all of the copper washers as well as additional power steering fluid in the kit.
Our complete kit includes:
- VAC (Clevite) Performance Coated Rod Bearing Set (Upper and Lower Bearings)
- ARP Connecting Rod Bolt Kit; M9 x 45mm UHL Custom Age
- Genuine BMW Oil Pan Gasket
- Genuine BMW Engine Oil Pan Bolt with Washer, 6 X 30 mm (Quantity 16)
- Genuine BMW Engine Oil Pan Bolt with Washer, 6 X 50 mm (Quantity 12)
- Genuine BMW Engine Oil Pan Bolt with Washer, 6 X 75 mm (Quantity 2)
- 10W-60 Synthetic; Castrol Edge Professional TWS (Quantity 10)
- Oil Filter Kit; Contains: (1) Filter Cartridge, (2) Filter Housing Seals, (2) Drain Plug Seal Rings
- Power Steering Line to Steering Rack Copper Washer, 14 X 18 X 1.5 mm (Quantity 2)
- Power Steering Line to Steering Rack Copper Washer, 16 X 20 X 1.5 mm (Quantity 2)
- Hydraulic System Fluid (CHF 11S), for Power Steering and Hydraulic System
- Genuine BMW Engine Mount; Driver Side
- Genuine BMW Engine Mount; Passenger Side
- Genuine BMW Transmission Mounts (Quantity 2)
To order this kit either call us at 602 814 6543 or email us at email@example.com